This weekend I have made 2 cards for orders and whilst I have already posted the pictures, I know some of you like to know how I made it, so coming up are the recipes & methods for each card. This will probably be one of the longest posts I have ever done - so sorry about that folks.
So, here we go with the first card - a birthday card for a lady's sister
For this card, the brief was that the recipient loved penguins so I found this digistamp from DigiDarla Designs and printed it out on water colour paper. I coloured the image with Aquamarkers by laying some ink onto a plate and using a paintbrush. To get more tips on water colouring, I suggest you look at Jenny Mays blog and watch out for her whenever you can on Create & Craft TV and at shows.
To finish, I matted & layered the dry topper onto some cardstock that I bought from Lidl's. Don't under estimate the craft items sometimes available from Lidl's - some of them are really useful and this particular card stock is really nice for matting, layering and also embossing. I know this as I used the same card stock through my e-bosser for the background.
The leaves are a marianne die (I do believe) and I went over the whole thing with clear star pen from Sakura. Of course, you could spray the whole thing with Crafters Companion glitter spray, but I don't have any, so I didn't. use what you have around you - that's my motto.
The sentiment was created in Serif Craft Artist Pro 2 and simply mat & layered into the same colour card stock. I added a simple starfish to the leaves that I drew myself to tie in with the starfish on the beach.
Still awake? Well here comes the recipe / method for the 2nd card I made this weekend
This card is for a father to give to his son. He asked for 'one of my classic cards' as he calls them.
I started with a 5x5 piece of crafters companion pearl card, the reverse side and inked over with 3 distress inks. Now I used 'old paper' 'frayed burlap' and 'brushed corduroy'. No thought behind them, they just happened to be close to hand. Then I took a dotty mask (many people make them, take your pick). and a very very VERY light stencilling with black soot added some texture. I then laid a brickword stencil over the whole thing and randomly pressed clear perfect medium through it. Now - I made an error. I didn't rub the antistatic bag over the surface before I inked through, so when I applied the clear embossing powder over it, the effect wasn't as clean as I had thought I wanted it to be. HOWEVER, once I rubbed over with some distress ink, I really liked the aged effect it gave to the whole thing and the speckled embossing gave it a much better look than I had intended. So, if something doesn't turn out as you intended, so be it. It's a piece of card at the end of the day. I felt the topper needed something 'extra' so I took a piece of tissue paper, laid it on a piece of copy paper ripped the centre to make the opening. I rolled back the edges and then sprayed it with sepia ink, and some chocolate ink. I was more than happy with the splats from the spray bottles as it all adds to the texture. I left it to dry naturally which gave it a 'crackly' texture. Attached it to the topper and trimmed it to size. Once it was all dry, I attached it to a piece of kraft card that I had distressed with a scissor blade and inked with some blacksoot distress ink.
I used a sheet of 16 x 16 centura pearl card to make the 8 x 8 card blank and used similar techniques and direct onto the card blank for the backing. The sentiment and '40' were done in Serif Craft Artist Pro2 again onto 120gsm super smooth paper so that it took the distress inks afterwards. The name was stamped direct onto the backing using the distressed Alphabet stamp set from Ali Reeve
So, there you go. How I did the 2 cards from this weekend.
Thank you for staying away long enough to read my blogpost x