I had it all planned in my head what I was going to do on this journal cover - then I started on it and all my idea's when clean out the window.
So, here goes. I started by applying a rough layer of gesso. Once dried I used Antique Linen Distress ink all over the base then used a sanding block to smooth out the journal cover. I then roughly inked over the top with Frayed Burlap Distress ink. Using a piece of bubble wrap and Tea Dye Distress ink pad I began to create some texture on the cover. I also used a plastic bag to add to the effect along with various distress ink and Artiste ink pads. The stamped images are from Creative Expressions and are stamped with Versafine Sepia Distress ink. The whole thing was then dried using a heat gun. I then added some red water colour pencil to the poppy centre and using a barely damp brush, pushed the colour around to fill in the design, The same technique was used on the leaves of the poppy. Then, again using the plastic bag, I added more texture using the vintage sepia ink pad.
Finally to finish, I used Sunkissed gold perfect pearl mica powder over the cover (although this doesn't show up well on the photo)
Now I have sat and looked at it, I can think of a few more things I want to add to the cover, so watch out for an update on this post soon :-)
ADDED - 2nd photo is the new update one - it needed a hinge & a couple of butterflies